One of the easiest ways to update our home has got to be our stair project. It’s not done yet, but I am completely confident it will be an amazing result for very little money. This post, DIY Carpet to Wood Stairs, is going to be the first part of our journey toward refinished wood stairs.
I’ve mentioned before how this house had over 8 different flooring types…possibly reaching a dozen different types, I just don’t remember for sure with the bedrooms. But the kitchen is different from the dining room which is different from the living room which was different from the stairs which was different from the bedrooms and the bathrooms each had yet another type of flooring. It was crazy!
We decided to replace all of the flooring in favor of having the same hardwood floors throughout the entire house. But after buying 3,000 square feet of flooring, we just weren’t willing to spend a good chunk more on matching the stairs, especially when I kept insisting we could just refinish them. I told my husband that we needed to rip up the carpet as soon as possible to see what we had to work with. We ended up with solid pine treads that just need some prep to get them ready for staining!
First we went step by step yanking and pulling up the carpet. This is a lot harder than in a room just because of the large amount of staples installers use in such a small space. Tip: use pliers to give you the grip and leverage you need to make the job easier. Plus, it protects your hands from the staples sticking out of the ends of the carpet.
Once the carpet was up, there were tack strips on each step and stapled down padding on top of them. I liked to roll the strips into the padding to make disposal in a regular garbage bag easier. When all of that was taken care of, we were left with a whole lot of staples lodged in the wood. I found this part oddly satisfying and didn’t mind the work, so I removed each and every staple by myself in a couple hours using a pry bar. That pry bar made it so easy.
We used the shop vac to clean up the loose staples and are now ready to move onto Part 2. In the second post, I will share how we solved the bull nose issue on the top step and what we did next to prep the steps for stain. Stay tuned!