Halloween came and went 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t had a chance to share our costumes and how I made them. After serious deliberation, we settled on The Lego Movie as our theme. We’ve decided we will have the absolute best costumes from now on. Three years ago (before Dean) we were Barney, Betty, and Bam Bam Rubble and that fit us perfectly. We skipped the family costume the next year and I totally regretted that, so last year we were The Incredibles. Again, fitting us perfectly with Dean as Jack Jack and Cole as Dash. And Violet was invisible, duh.
This year when we decided on The Lego Movie, I knew I was obviously going to be Wyldstyle and Cole so wanted to be Emmet. My husband was dying to be Lord Business, on stilts no less. But I talked him into being Good Cop/Bad Cop instead. His love of voices and multiple personalities helped to sway him almost immediately. And we thought our littlest would make the cutest and funniest Batman.
I didn’t want to paint a 2 and 4 year old yellow and I just didn’t think being humans dressed like the characters was good enough to be, well, AWESOME. So I ran to Pinterest and searched to see if others have created similar costumes. I saw this image that led to nowhere but I had my idea for the heads. Concrete form tubes!
Keep in mind that we’re under a lot of pressure with multiple projects on the house and it was a week before Halloween. Here I was committing to a lot of work for costumes. But commit, I did. I was planning on a lot more detail and take more care but I still think they came out great!
I don’t have step by step instructions with dimensions for you because it was all very off the cuff. We would hold things up to each other, mark it and cut. But here are the ideas we used that you could too:
- The bodies were made from foam board. We cut them at angles with a razor. I bought them for way too much at the craft store but later saw them for $1 each at the dollar store. Each side was secured with duct tape, very easy. Measurements were huge and moving was awkward, but it looked good.
- Painting was going to be part of the process no matter what but the idea of painting absolutely every piece we were going to wear was daunting and undesirable. One thing we did was use large blank t-shirts from the craft store over top of the foam board bodies. We stretched them on and taped the bottoms down on the inside. This saved time, increased comfort and just all around looked better.
- For Batman, we ended up finding a toddler costume on clearance that we cut and stretched over Dean’s Lego body. It worked out really well!
- Duct tape comes in many colors and while I initially thought to use it for the pink and blue lines on Wyldstyle’s jumpsuit as well as Emmet’s construction vest and more, I also realized I should be using it for some of the hair (or Batman’s mask) on our Lego heads. I still used a lot of paint but not as much as I would have.
Due to time, we painted (or taped) the hair on the heads and left the tops open. It helped with airflow as well too. The boys didn’t want to wear them for long, but we creepily followed them and held their hands while Trick or Treating, so everyone knew who we were. And we were declared multiple times “Best Costumes of the Night”! Totally worth it.